Saturday, March 22, 2008

Holy chocolate, Batman!


Early Easter greetings! My family is celebrating the Big Day this afternoon, with an enormous BBQ feast at Lucille's. Mmmm, don't ribs and peanut slaw scream "resurrection of our lord"? Tomorrow it's my annual viewing of Fiddler on the Roof (don't ask me why -- watching a long musical about Russian-Jewish life on Easter morning is just one of My Things), followed by burgers on the grill and my first stab at making The Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownies.

A few years ago my birthday fell on Easter, and Norman, who I was still getting to know, gave me both a milk chocolate cross and the first two seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD. I wasn't sure about Buffy at that point, but the chocolate cross sealed the deal: he and I were destined to become great pals.

I am not a religious person, but I think even I would feel a little squeamish about gnawing the head off a chocolate Jesus.

No comments: