Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bad juju

Despite a hard, busy day yesterday, the return of my beloved tape dispenser kept me in a good mood all afternoon. I left work around 3:45 and went home to the momentous task of putting away all my Halloween decorations, a job that in the end took two-and-a-half hours. It makes me a little sad to pack everything away for another year, but I wasn't actually upset until I realized that the planchette that goes with my ouija board was missing.

I bought my ouija board a few years ago and I love the look of it: It features a pirate ship lit by moonlight, and instead of YES and NO, it says AYE and NAY. The accompanying planchette is handpainted with an old map motif. I looked everywhere -- under the coffee table, under the couch and chair, behind the pillows on the window seat -- and I can't find it. More than annoyed, I'm creeped out. Do I believe in ghosts? No. Am I afraid of my ouija board and never touch it unless necessary? You betcha. Where in the world (or otherworld) has my planchette gone?

The loss of the planchette completely negates the return of the tape dispenser. Now I'm afraid it's going to be a bad week.

1 comment:

Feral Mom said...

Could it have been the work of a child? The girls kept messing with it when we were at your party--I'm pretty sure they left it on the Board, but maybe another kid picked it up and took it outside?

In any case, I wouldn't blame it on ghosts just yet. Check behind your potty.