Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Somebody stop me

What kind of sick masochist am I? Not only have I plunged into NaNoWriMo (today's word count: 4029), but I have now decided to participate in NaBloPoMo as well. In the words of NaBloPoMo founder Eden at Fussy, "Some of us lack the imagination, stamina, and self-destructive impulses required to write a novel that quickly, but, by Grabthar's Hammer, we can update our blogs every day for a month!" Yeah, brilliant me. I need not only to concoct a 50,000-word novel by the end of the month, but also to update How's Annie? every single day. If you thought I was scraping the bottom for subject matter before, I can only warn you that pickings may get pretty slim around here in the next month. I'll try not to be reduced to reprinting my grocery lists or job to-do's.

On the bright side: 4029 words! That's the most I've written in a single day since I put my bachelor's thesis together. (The key to successful thesis writing, in my experience, is nine months of research and three very intensive days of writing.) Considering that yesterday I had only the vaguest notion of how my novel would start, I'm pretty pleased with my beginning. I am trying to ignore my inner critic and focus purely on word count, as I feel it will be healthy for my psyche, but I admit to going back to things I wrote earlier in the day and tinkering with them a bit. In a day or so I'll post a link to my author page at NaNoWriMo, where you'll be able to read an excerpt from my novel; I have a sex passage coming up and I thought it would be fun to upload something sort of salacious for my vast reading public.

In the meantime, if you have any ideas for blog content during the next thirty days, your suggestions would be most welcome. In fact, I'm begging you.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Well, I hope you're happy. I signed up for NaBloPoMo too. Assuming I actually have web access throughout my trip, I'll be blogging every day as well.

Ideas huh? Well, you could always discuss the ineveitable carpel tunnel syndrome you'll be developing. (Are you mad?)

I know I'd appreciate some tips on keeping the process going.

Oh, and there's always "Lost" & "Grey's Anatomy" to discuss. You'll still be watching tv, right?

Anonymous said...

Why not do what the college students do? Post portions of your daily novel writing in your blog!