Sunday, November 05, 2006

Secrets

One of my early Sunday morning rituals is to check in with PostSecret. I've been doing it for about a year-and-a-half now, and I find it very stimulating to sit here alone in the quiet kitchen with my cup of coffee and read the week's new secrets. I sent in a secret a little over a year ago that never got posted and didn't make either of the PostSecret books. Ultimately I talked to the person that my secret was about and we resolved an issue that had been upsetting me, so in the end it doesn't matter that no one ever saw that postcard -- working up the courage to send it gave me the courage to talk about my secret, and my life is now a little bit better for it.

Because I want desperately to win NaNoWriMo this year, I know I need to devote as much time as possible to working on my novel every day. But Frank Warren, the guy who created PostSecret, is going to be doing a signing at my place of employment on Thursday evening and I've decided I need to attend and see what he has to say. There is no way for me to work the experience into my novel's storyline, but I'm hoping it will prove inspiring and help keep me going in my quest to reach the 50,000 word mark.

(Oh, hey. I forgot to tell you -- I posted a short excerpt here the other day. Be aware that the NaNo page doesn't seem to care for dashes or ellipses, two of my favorites, so please don't judge what looks like my lack of punctuation in several spots. And you should probably know that my main character is a modern-day witch; I don't want you to be confused by all the references to spellcasting.)

No comments: