Thursday, June 24, 2010

Homegrown snack

You remember a few months ago, I planted some seed potatoes in a garbage can? I was hopeful, though not terribly, that I'd eventually have a bumper crop of spuds to feast upon:

Well, sure enough, the seed potatoes started to grow. And grow. I kept shoveling potting soil into the garbage can as the vines got taller and taller. They grew right out of the top of the can and eventually became so long and heavy that they started flopping over. This is what they look like now:

Last night I scrabbled around a bit in the dirt and fished out a single, perfect, very small Yukon Gold potato. Eureka! This morning I dug through the top three or four inches of soil and found two more. I may not have a garbage can overflowing with potatoes, but I think it's safe to assume there are a few more lurking down there in the darkness. In the meantime, three small potatoes are enough to make a great snack:

FRIED POTATOES A LA SHAMBLES

Scrub three small Yukon Golds until clean. Place in small pan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and boil potatoes for 10 minutes or so, until fork-tender but not completely cooked. Remove from pan and cool.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet. Slice the cooled potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices. Place them in a single layer in the skillet and fry until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Grind some fresh pepper onto them and flip to cook them on the other side, another 4 or 5 minutes or until they are browned to your satisfaction.

Remove from pan and place potatoes on a serving dish. Sprinkle crumbled bleu cheese and some freshly chopped chives on top. Enjoy.

1 comment:

kb said...

Congrats on your potatoes. The picture you posted looks delicious. I can be persuaded by anything if bleu cheese is involved! I finally got a good crop of carrots this year and the kids and I harvested a bunch last week and proudly cooked them up for dinner. Hayley squeezed honey all over hers and Ryan said they tasted like hose water. Oh well...Mike and I enjoyed them.