Sunday, August 30, 2009

Doomsday

I took this picture at about 7:30 this morning. I had already been up for about an hour, and when I first awoke I was surprised at how dark it was outside. There was definitely no rain in the forecast, so I stepped outside to see why it looked so overcast. The stench of smoke hit me as soon as I opened the front door: apparently the wind has shifted and is now pushing the smoke from the La Canada-Flintridge fire into the Pasadena foothills. Down the street I could see wisps of smoke swirling like eddies of fog.

I took this shot in our kitchen about 8:30 a.m. My little camera didn't begin to capture the angry orange of the morning light.

I took this picture yesterday on El Molino Avenue as I was driving home from work at about 2 p.m. Right at the base of that angry-looking plume of smoke you can just make out a spurt of flame. It's probably huge, but it doesn't look like much because it's on the ridge of that mountain and partially obscured by smoke.

A closer view of the smoke, probably a mile or so north on El Molino. I can't even see the mountains this morning because of all the smoke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This seems to be one of those once-a-decade-really-bad fires that SoCal has. Sorry you're having to deal with it!