Friday, June 05, 2009

Celebrate!

Today is National Doughnut Day. Don't you think you need to observe this wonderful holiday? On my way into work this morning I picked up a dozen doughnuts to share with my coworkers, as well as a large jelly-filled treat for myself.

National Doughnut Day, which is celebrated on the first Friday in June, has a long and venerable history. It began in 1938 as a fundraiser for the Salvation Army, and indeed, the shop where I bought my dozen this morning had a couple of signs in their windows announcing that they would make a donation to the Salvation Army for every doughnut sold today. I don't know much about the Salvation Army but I always enjoy hearing their marching band in the Rose Parade every New Year's Day, so I encourage you to get out there and show your support, dozens of times if you must, today. In the unlikely chance that you're having trouble locating a doughnut emporium in greater L.A., this might be of help.

No comments: