Sunday, August 03, 2008

A day of rest

I had planned today to write a snarky assessment of The Vampire Lovers, a rather silly lesbian vampire flick from Hammer films that Norman and I caught last night at the Egyptian. But I'm really not in the mood. Sean and I found out earlier today that some friends of ours lost their baby, who was due in early October. They found out a few weeks ago that there was a tumor on the umbilical cord, and they were hoping she could carry the baby just a few more weeks so her doctor could safely induce labor. But she had the baby, a boy, on Thursday, and he died. As far as I know, she is physically fine, but of course she and the baby's dad are wrecks. I feel terrible for them -- I can barely imagine the pain they must be in, and right now they don't want visitors or even phone calls, so it's hard to know what we can do for them.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. What sad news.

You and Sean are such good people, I'm sure you'll hear from then when they're ready.

the slackmistress said...

Something similar happened to friends of friends of mine and it's devastating. For the parents, and for those who can't do anything to help. Best to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how heartbreaking! Eventually your friends will want people around again. When they do, you and Sean won't need to do anything special. Just being there with them and for them will be enough.

Feral Mom said...

This is such sad news. My condolences to your friends. And any support--especially, months down the road, when a lot of the initial support has dissipated--will mean a lot.