Thursday, November 08, 2007

Medium black dress

Yesterday, while looking for something in my closet, I found a dress I'd forgotten I owned. It had fallen off its hanger and was bunched on the floor in a corner behind a box of quilting supplies. Actually, I hadn't forgotten that I owned it -- I just hadn't seen it in such a long time that I figured I'd jettisoned it during one of my periodic wardrobe sweeps.

I bought it from a catalog (see below) a few years ago. When it arrived, I tried it on and was disappointed to find it was a little too small for me. I decided to keep it and lose enough weight to fit into it. Well, not only did that not happen, but when I tried it on again yesterday it was even tighter than I'd remembered. Still, it's a pretty dress and stylistically not yet dated, so I've decided to hang onto it for another year and make it my goal dress.

My weight loss goal is now not a specific number of pounds, but the ability to fit into that dress and look good; once I achieve that, I'll have to set a new goal, because the dress is still a size larger than I'd ultimately like to be. But still! It will feel great to slip into a fancy, form-fitting dress and hit the town. I'm going to give myself a whole year to see if I can do it. Check back in 12 months to see how my medium-sized black dress fits.

It's exciting to have a goal in life, no matter how small or inane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And when you reach that goal, call up a few friends and we'll all go out and celebrate with you!