Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Author guilt

Today I had lunch with a writer whom I like, but whose latest novel I thought was awful. What does one say to an author who has written a stinker? Simple: you talk about her first book, written years ago and avoided by many readers because of its disturbing subject matter but which remains near and dear to her heart, and she'll think you like all of her books.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a signing starring a friend and former co-worker who has just had her first novel published. I'm so proud and so thrilled for her! The problem is, I haven't read it yet. It's a children's book and not too long so I know I can finish it before I see her tomorrow, but I feel terrible that I will be racing to complete it before 7 p.m. Worse yet, she regularly checks in with this blog so she'll know what a slacker I am.

No comments: