Monday, July 30, 2007

Down, but looking up

I've been feeling pretty down the last couple of days, due mostly, I'm sure, to lack of sleep. My insomnia and my occasional low moods seem to coincide and feed off each other; trying to function on about nine hours of sleep since Saturday morning makes me feel achy and sad. About the only thing keeping me upright this evening is Sean's cheerful disposition -- even when he has slept poorly (as he did last night, too), he remains upbeat and energetic and funny. Sitting and eating dinner with him while listening to Curtis on the radio earlier tonight gave me a real boost. What I really need, however, is a good night's sleep... times six to twelve months.

To cheer myself up I started thinking earlier today about the 2007 Cavalcade of Filmic Horrors. It's the annual slate of movies I dream up every year to watch between August and the end of October to get me in the mood for Halloween; my friend Norman, an even bigger fan of horror films than I, has been my viewing companion for the last couple of years. I really ought to start watching stuff this week, seeing as August hits in a couple of days, but I'm woefully behind in my planning. I like a nice mix of old and new; DVD and theatrical releases; dead serious, scary fare and the odd campy flick. So far this is all I've come up with:

1408
The Howling
The Vampire Lovers (it was on last year's schedule but we never got to it)
The Invasion

I'm sure Norman will soon chime in with some good choices, but for now I'm feeling stumped. Any scary movie suggestions for this year's CoFH?

No comments: