Sunday, April 01, 2007

Asked and (finally) answered

Dear Mrs. Feral,

Please don't fail me because I'm late with my writing assignment! The writing assignment I asked for, I should add. Time just got away from me this past week...

What is the best book that no one's reading right now?
Easy: The Every Boy by Dana Adam Shapiro. I couldn't give it away in hardback, and now that it's in paper, no one will even look at it. Of course, the publisher hasn't done a good job packaging it either time. Pity -- it's a wonderfully funny, sad, odd story, full of moments that made me think of my own teen mishaps (especially in the true love department). Plus it's written by the guy who directed the documentary Murderball!

What are three random things that crack you up?
1. My husband. Sean is always saying offbeat things that catch me off guard and give me giggle fits. Can I give an example? That's hard; I think it's often his timing rather than what he says that makes it funny. There are many, many reasons I married the man, but his sense of humor is one of the biggest.
2. A couple of years ago Sean and Curtis made a short film called Significant Others that makes me laugh every time I watch it. My best pal Norman has a role in it, and he's really funny.
3. Caddyshack

Los Angeles - great city, or the greatest city?
I'll have to say "great city," because I don't think there is a greatest city. Los Angeles really is pretty terrific, often because of its proximity to other things -- mountains, desert, beaches, amusement parks -- rather than for what it contains. But L.A. contains an amazing assortment of things for someone like me, who requires a high level of stimulation, things like great movie revival houses (as well as plenty of art house theatres showing little films that people in small towns may never get to see on the big screen), interesting restaurants (check out this excellent little place in Eagle Rock I discovered a few days ago), great independent bookstores (including my employer), museums, sports arenas, a variety of venues for live music (whoo-hoo! Girlyman at McCabe's on the 22nd! Rufus Wainwright at the Hollywood Bowl in September!), farmers' markets, craft supply stores... The list goes on and on. Sure, parts of L.A. feel crowded, but my suburban neighborhood is pleasantly quiet and gives me lots of elbow room. The summer heat gets to me, but as folks constantly point out, "At least it's dry heat." The one thing I really don't like about Los Angeles is the smog, which can get bad in late summer and early fall -- but then the Santa Anas will come and blow all the brown stuff away into some other unlucky Southern California valley and all is well again.

Do you believe in ghosts?
No, and yet I still fear them; the same can be said of the devil.

What do you dream about?
Oh, man, I used to have such good dreams. Dreams in which I was the hero, saving my family and friends, vanquishing the monsters, flying away from would-be attackers, able to breathe underwater and rescue kittens from certain doom. That was when I was a kid. Now I dream about stuff like... working, making dinner, driving somewhere in the car, ironing shirts. A recurring theme in my dreams is my inability to work steadily towards a goal: I'm always setting out to do something, then being sidetracked by another task, and then another one, until there's six degrees of separation between me and what I originally wanted to do. Around the holidays, I often have nightmares about coming into work and discovering that the entire store has been rearranged and the shelves are too high to see over and there are so many people crowding the aisles that I can't move, and horror of horrors! someone asks me for a specific book, and not only can I not find the section where it's supposed to be, I can't figure out how to look it up on the computer. During stressful times of my life I occasionally used to dream that I moved back in with my parents, but I don't have those dreams anymore since they died. Recently, though, more and more of my dreams are set in my childhood home, with my parents and all my siblings as supporting characters. But still I'm doing mundane stuff like chatting, setting the dinner table, watching TV. Of course, there was that one recent dream when I found myself in a liplock with -- awww, you don't wanna hear about that.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Consider yourself lucky. I have the annoying habit of combining the same sidetrack dream with the liplock variety. Just last night, it seems, I spent the entire night trying to find a secluded spot, in some enormous house, so I could liplock with... awww, you don't wanna hear about that.

I'm sure this speaks volumes about my love life but there it is.

Anonymous said...

Rufus at the Hollywood Bowl? Oh my God, you've made my afternoon.