Monday, October 02, 2006

Third time's the charm

For the third year in a row, I am attempting NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month occurs in November, when thousands of crazy people around the world try to write an entire 50,000-word novel in 30 days. I have been unsuccessful in my first two attempts, but I've vowed to reach that 50,000-word mark this year. I already have the counter turned on in my Word program, and I updated my profile on the NaNoWriMo page today. Even more seriously, Norman and I have each vowed to finish our respective projects by the last day of November -- me my novel, he his screenplay -- so this year there will be repercussions if I fail. The last couple of years it's been like, "Oh, well, who cares?" Now I face the possibility of Norman taunting me, and I've found there's nothing like the fear of humiliation to spur me to action. I should mention that Curtis is participating this year as well... except that he seems to have a truly good and perhaps even publishable idea, so I'm not sure he's truly getting into the spirit of the whole write-a-crappy-novel-in-a-month thing. I still need to check in with Gwyllion and Janine to see if they want to be my writing buddies again this year.

Once I get going, I'll put a link here so you lucky half-dozen readers can read excerpts from my magnum opus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to take issue with your characterization of your first two attempts as "unsuccessful." I quite enjoyed what you allowed me to read and still look forward to finding out who broke into that apartment and what that alien invasion actually means for all of us...